Saturday, January 31, 2009

I Want to Believe

I raised the white flag and took Gracie to the pediatrician today. Stephen and I were up all night long last night- and I mean ALL NIGHT LONG. I did not successfully get her down one single time. I tried three or four times, both times I was up with her, and ultimately Stephen had to take over every time. She was also awake for two hours when she woke in the middle of the night to eat. I finally told myself that I do not know what to do for this girl and we need serious HELP before we all die of sleep deprivation.

Back at her 1-month appointment, I asked her regular pedi if he thought she might have reflux. He kind of brushed off the idea, but suggested that we try giving her 1/2 tsp of maalox a few times, and if it helped, then we'd start zantac. At that time, she seemed to be turning a corner in terms of her fussines, so I didn't push it. Of course, we all know what happened, as the wheels fell off the bus, the shit hit the fan, and every other analogy you can think of happened. Today we saw the pedi who did her 2-week visit. She asked just a few questions, and said that Gracie has classic symptoms of reflux. She checked her for other signs of illness (there were none) and gave us samples and a prescription for Prevacid, with instructions to call her on wednesday if she's not any better. I asked about the sleep issues- the girl is constantly overtired and resists sleep more than any baby I think I've ever seen. I'm not sure she really answered me. I decided to think that the reflux is fragmenting her sleep more than we even realize, causing her to be overtired even when she seems to be sleeping. I left the office moderately hopeful. I think Stephen was a bit more doubtful, but probably because he's more pragmatic anyway.

I'm already losing hope for this. She was fussing a lot, and since she'll be up all night anyway, I decided to try putting her down around 7:30 (an hour after she last ate). She fell asleep four times before I successfully got her in her crib. The first three times, she went down, and startled herself awake a minute or so later (staying down just long enough to make me think she might sleep). I have no idea what that would have to do with reflux. I think we're dealing with two separate issues (I do believe she has reflux, just that it's not the main problem), and the bigger issue is the one with no solution.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hopefully if the reflux gets solved then the doctors will take you seriously about the sleep issue - since they seem to want to lump them together.

Good luck tonight!!

Rae said...

I agree with Jessica, hopefully you'll solve the reflux and then move on to the next..and bigger..issue. Wishing you the best! Love, Rae