Tuesday, July 28, 2009

No, THIS is the best age!

I remember, sometime around four months, realizing that Grace was at an age/stage that I would miss one day. This was striking for obvious reasons- really, who in their right mind would miss colic? Right. But then one day, right around the time she was old enough to play and entertain herself a little, I realized she was FUN. That's when my friend Anne told me, from that point on, every age would be my favorite. Suuuure, I thought. If you say so.

She was right. (She usually is.)

I realized today, as I was unloading her from the front carrier to get back in the car, I want her to be this age forever. And I've thought that for the last three or four months. Every new trick she learns, every outfit she outgrows, every new food she tastes- they're all so exciting, and just when I think it can't get any better, it does. At the same time, I look back on four-month-old Gracie and think, awww, I miss that! It's crazy.

Semi-related note: Stephen says I'll be carrying her around in the front carrier til she leaves for college. Of course he's wrong, her legs would drag on the ground, but it won't stop me from trying.

3 comments:

Donna said...

I couldn't agree more! Like I miss so much when Liam and Brendan were babies, but now that they can talk I can't remember what it was like NOT to be able to have conversations with them. And they are so funny and constantly amazing me with the new things they learn and think of. I guess when you REALLY start to miss the baby age, that's when you have another baby. Ah, so THAT"s why my parents did that! :o)

Laura said...

I agree! We try to appreciate all the stages, but its hard watching them grow too. :)

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

Good thing I didn't leave myself enough time to have ten, Donna ;)