Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Thank Heaven

One of my friends found out today that she's having a baby girl in March. I am so excited for her, I can hardly contain myself.

I unequivocally, unapologetically wanted a girl when I was pregnant with Grace. I also knew she was a girl from the minute the second line turned pink. No, before that. I knew that if I was pregnant, I was going to have a girl. Then I started carrying her like a basketball stuffed into my shirt, and I thought, eeep, this might be a boy! And the whole world told me I was surely having a boy. And, I mean, I wouldn't have been disappointed, but...ohhh, I wanted a girl.

And let me just tell you, it is every bit as awesome as I knew it would be. I know lots of people want boys because of that whole adolescence thing. And probably, if I'm blogging in fifteen years, I will be writing about how very, very stupid I was to sing the praises of little girls, in light of the surly, tempestuous changeling charging her way through the house. (I will also be listening to her say, "I seriously cannot believe you still BLOG, you are such a loser, why don't you get out your TiVo and your iPod while you're at it, GOD.")

But you know what? The teenage years are just a blip on the radar. We lived through colic, we can live through hormones and mom-hating.


And, in case you were wondering, no, this really doesn't help with the baby fever. At ALL.

2 comments:

Jill said...

I told you she was going to be a girl! I had faith!

Jessica said...

Teenage boys are JUST AS MUCH of a pain in the ass. Seriously. I nanny a 14 year old boy and a 12 year old girl and right now I'd take a day with the girl-child over the boy-child ANY DAY of the week.

All teenagers suck, it's the nature of being a teen.