Friday, November 13, 2009

Houseiversary

We moved into our house a year ago today. It was a rough day- I had my 36 week appt the same day, and I couldn't reschedule it because I was the only person working the next day. We had no food in the house, so I didn't have breakfast until we were driving to the new house and I stopped at Dunkin' Donuts. I went straight from there, to the appt where my doctor told me I was not at all dilated, but high and closed and started explaining how they schedule inductions. Then I went home and helped my poor one-armed husband unpack.

I definitely don't recommend moving when you're nine months pregnant and your husband is two-weeks postop from significant shoulder surgery. Just saying, in case you were considering it.

It feels so weird to look back on the last year, because obviously life is so, so, so different now. I think about how I felt and what I expected and yeah...it hasn't been at all what I expected. And since we moved in right before she was born, I think of our time in the house the same way I think about our time as parents, and it's just...weird. I'm not explaining this well. If I were a better writer, I could say exactly what I'm thinking, how I remember trudging up the back steps every day after work, still hugely pregnant, still not in labor, and the day when Grace was less than a month old, and we had to go to my parents' house because they were replacing the windows in the house, or how a few weeks before that, we had to keep spending the day there because they were rewiring the house (didn't expect that one!), or how my parents had to sit at OUR house, because they were replacing the basement windows, but we were in the hospital having a baby, and it makes me feel SOMETHING, I just can't put it into words or explain exactly what I mean. It's frustrating.

I guess maybe my only point is that I usually don't pay attention to something like a houseiversary, but I do here, because it's all tied up with so many other intense memories, and I feel the need to commemorate it somehow. Like I should go home and watch The Money Pit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephen says....."The money pit"......I like that movie too

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

hee.

because it doesn't insist upon itself.