Thursday, February 24, 2011

Uno Punto Cinco Por Segundo

It's really funny how different the whole OB visit is between baby number one and baby number two.

With Grace, I went to every appointment between 36 and 40 weeks praying for some change, ANY change. I never got it until the very, very end. They stressed that I would have to go ten days past my due date for induction (which, on the one hand, I did not want, but on the other hand, I did NOT want to stay pregnant forever and ever). They assured me that I shouldn't be expecting cervical changes, that it meant nothing that I wasn't having them.

This time, I've been going to each appointment hoping to be told, "Ohhh, you have awhile yet! Nothing going on down here!" And until today, I got just that. Today the doctor said I'm dilated to 1.5cm, which shocked me a bit (but only a little, after I woke up in the middle of the night a few days ago with some intensely weird feelings that made me wonder if something was going on). The doctor was also shocked- that I wasn't dilated more. She said a second-time mom at 38 weeks and change is usually dilated further. I explained that I have a cervix of steel so she should not be surprised (left out the part about leaping buildings in a single bound). She asked me what my plan is- am I getting induced, or waiting? I was really taken aback, especially after getting the opposite spiel with Grace. I told her I'm waiting. She stressed that she would not induce me today, as I am not favorable at this point, but that it could be different by next week. I told her no thank you. (Role reversal, much?) We talked a bit more about it, and it turns out I can only go seven days, not ten, past my due date this time. I'm really okay with that, it's only a three-day difference and as much as I don't want to go early, I have my own worries about aging placentas.

Oh, and it wasn't my imagination or the angle of the pictures- Segundo measured 37cm this week, a 3cm growth from last week. Packing on the fat for life in the world:)

Of course, last week, when I was sick as a dog, the weather was slightly warmer (aka downright balmy for February in Chicago) and the snow melted and everything. Now that I am healthy, it's turning cold and snowy and hideous. FIGURES. I would've LOVED to get one last outdoor run in before this baby comes, but I guess it's not in the cards. Though I guess we'll have to see what the cervix of steel is doing next week before I decide that for sure;)

3 comments:

Laura said...

How Ironic is this Post!!!

Kathy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Crabby Apple Seed: said...

I know! hee heee:)