Monday, December 12, 2011

grown-up birthdays

Inititally I used the word adult in the title here, but that made it sound way too p0rn-y, so I changed it.  Anyway.

Stephen and I were talking yesterday, about how birthdays when you're a grown-up don't have that same "special day" feeling they do when you're younger, and how much that stinks.  All day yesterday, I kept forgetting it was even my birthday at all.

It was, however, all worth it when Stephen stuck a candle in a cupcake and he and Gracie sang happy birthday to me.  Gracie isn't big on singing happy birthday to other people, and kind of tends to lose her mind when it happens, so it was really cool to have her sing to me.  Also?  She pronounces it birpday.  Which, if you're me, means she's singing Happy Burp-day to you, which is pretty freaking awesome.

3 comments:

rebekah said...

http://www.kveller.com/blog/parenting/do-birthdays-matter-when-youre-a-mom/ did you see this? relevant...

SymbioticLife said...

Hilarious. It seems like all holidays feel like that to me anymore. Am I alone with that? Yesterday was my husband and I's anniversary. We forgot. the 4 year old pipes up half way through the day and says "Is today your weddings birthday?" (that's how anniversaries have been explained to him) And we both just busted out laughing. No presents, no dinner, no flowers...and we love each other! Great marriage. Good to see, we're not alone.

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

ha, I love wedding birthday! but how on earth did your 4yo know that?