Monday, January 9, 2012

To Sleep, Perchance to Not Be Aphasic

I have this theory that kids are all either eaters or sleepers.

My girls loooove to eat.

*sigh*

Gracie had some weird and frustrating sleep quirks that I thought we'd managed to avoid with Katie.  G used to wake up at 2am and stay awake for hoooours.  Katie didn't do that.  G started waking up at 4:30 when she was something like five or six months old.  Katie didn't do that.  So even though her naps were rotten and she woke up a ton overnight, I tried to look at the positive side.  Then, of course, Katie started staying awake for hours in the middle of the night and waking up every day before 5am. I mean, of COURSE she did.  Except, unlike Gracie, who had the decency to go to bed at 6pm every day, I'm lucky if I have Katie asleep by 7:30.  And I can't go back to bed at 9am when she takes her nap. 

I thought I had an ace in the hole with this- we took away Gracie's morning nap, et voila, sleeping til 6am.  like MAGIC.  And just last weekend, Katie was suddenly sleeping til 6:30 or 7 and not requiring a morning nap.  Score!  Aaaand then she stopped.  Started waking at 4am.  But ALSO, because she was used to not taking a nap, she also refused to take a morning nap!  And so has really been a joy to be around.  Right now, her sleep schedule is roughly as follows: wake up before 5am.  Refuse to take a morning nap, but get really crabby.  Pass out in the car on the way to/from running errands.  Going down for afternoon nap around 1:30.  Sleep an hour, wake up screaming, demanding bewb.  Get bewb.  Nap on couch another hour with mom.  Stay awake until at least 7:30.  Wake at least once.  Wake again at 4 or 4:30.  And so on.

We have tried putting her down earlier.  We have tried waiting until she acts really tired.  We have tried CIO.  None of it works.  Earlier and later bedtimes have no effect on her, one way or another.  CIO is no match for her, the kid is STUBBORN.  She will scream and scream and scream and screeeeeam, and after an hour, is still standing in her bed, shrieking her brains out. 

I got nothin' else.  My kids just do not need a lot of sleep, that is an undeniable fact, but I DO know Katie needs more than she is getting.  But short of, like, voodoo dolls or soaking her cheerios in benadryl, I am pretty sure there's nothing I can do to enforce that.

On the plus side, I get to remain totally smug about having kids that eat their vegetables.

1 comment:

rebekah said...

agreed. I think my girl lived on air and freeze dried peas for 6 months. She did sleep, though she's a night owl. She would naturally sleep from 11p-11a if we let her have her way.