Sunday, December 9, 2012

Four

Four years ago today, it was gray and sleety and hideous outside, and I stared out the window and thought, I cannot believe I am going to take this baby home today.  Have I lost my damn mind?

We could have stayed another night.  We hadn't slept in days, we were having some significant breastfeeding challenges (to say the least, ugh), and I. was. freaking out.  But?  The nurses we'd had weren't exactly helping with any of that, so it seemed to make just as much sense to go home as it did to stay.

Today, it is gray and cold and rainy (but not quite sleety!) and the house is full of toys and stickers and tiny Barbie shoes and cardboard and plastic and packaging and two extremely exhausted children.

I will take today over four years ago every single time.

There's so much I could say about the past year here, but you know, it really sucked and was filled with so much worry, ranging from neurotic anxiety to balls-out terror, that I'm really ready to just leave it where it is and look forward to this year, and let Gracie do the talking. This is stolen from Pinterest and my friend Jess.

Twenty Questions for Gracie on her fourth birthday:



What is your favorite color?   purple
2. What is your favorite toy?   LaLaLoopsy singing doll
3. What is your favorite fruit?   grapes
4. What is your favorite tv show?   Spongebob
5. What is your favorite thing to eat for lunch?   macaroni and cheese        
6. What is your favorite outfit?   Pajamas! (said with gusto. Mama’s girl.)
7. What is your favorite game?   Tag you’re it get me (commonly known as Tag)
8. What is your favorite snack?   fruit
9. What is your favorite animal?   tigers
10. What is your favorite song?   ABC
11. What is your favorite book?   Magazines (Hilights High Five. Again:mama’s girl)
12. Who is your best friend?   Lucy
13. What is your favorite cereal?   Honey Cheerios (honey nut cheerios)
14. What is your favorite thing to do outside?   Play on the slide
15. What is your favorite drink?   Apple juice
16. What is your favorite holiday?   My birthday (heh)
17. What do you like to take to bed with you at night?   Daddy and mommy
18. What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?   cereal
19. What do you want for dinner on your birthday?   pizza
20. What do you want to be when you grow up?   A nurse

Happy birthday, Gracie.  I love you more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow.

6 comments:

Donna said...

Oh, so cute and what a great idea. #20 is my favorite. It's amazing how quickly and how slowly these past four years have gone. Who knew then she would be a big sister 2 times over?! Love that sweet girl. :o)

Rae said...

So sweet. She is such a cute birthday girl with her hat on!

Torrey said...

I love these questions! I'm totally going to steal this and ask these to Ellie... maybe next year. ;) And I love how excited and proud she looks staring down at her bday cake.

Melony said...

LOVE this. Especially the part where she wants to be a nurse (like Mama).

Rebekah said...

Lucky you - Z wants to be a horse. :/

Laura said...

love.