Friday, September 4, 2009

I Have A Question.

For all you moms of kids older than mine (and there aren't THAT many of you, but I know there are some who never comment and I'd really like it if you jumped in right now. You probably still won't. That's fine. whatever. sniff.).

The first time your precious, lovely child walked over to another child, or group of children, and attempted to join in the fun, and was thwarted, what on earth did you do? How did you handle it?

Because although that day is off in the distant future, the mere thought makes me want to vomit. Let's not even start talking about the first time another little girl is mean to her.

I work with a woman whose son doesn't go to the same preschool as most of the kids in the neighborhood, so when they go to the park, he's a bit of an outcast. Once, he actually walked back to her with his hands up and said, "Mommy, they won't let me play. Nobody wants to play with me?"

Could you die? I would DIE.

What on earth do you do???

Also, what kind of budding sociopath would look at this face and say, "Go away, I don't want to play with you!"?



(ok. no more gratuitous pictures, promise.)

5 comments:

Laura said...

best picture of gracie ever! I love it! And you are far far FAR from the photo limit, just so ya know.

And I completely agree with you - what do we do? Abby was waving at a man and his son at the park the other day - neither of them saw her, but they were standing right by her and she just kept looking at them and smiling and waving expectantly. Then they walked off and her whole arm went limp and she stared after them for a second and then looked at me as if to say "why didn't they wave at me?"

awful.ugh.

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

Ugh, Laura, that is exactly what I mean! how did you stop yourself from yelling, "I know you don't see her but Abs is waving at you CAN YOU PLEASE SAY HELLO??!!!"

Jill said...

this is why my mom disliked Lynn for a while, and later Hannah. I forgave them LONG before she did!!

Megan said...

I hate this, and unfortunatly have witnessed my own child being the "snubber". I dropped Lilli off at daycare one day and her good friend Gracie ran up to her, wanted to give her a hug, and was obviously very excited. Lilli looked at her and said "I am not ready to play with you." WHAT?!?!?! And Gracie's mom was standing right there...I wanted to sink into the floor! I quickly told Lilli that we need tobe poliet to our friends and that Gracie just wanted to play, and Lilli looked at me as if to say "Don't you have to go to work now?" Has SuperNanny ever done an episode on this?

Donna said...

This has definitely happened to Liam, especially the times when he talks to people but they can't hear him because he is being soft-spoken so they ignore him, and it kills me. He is such a sensitive soul too. But he starts preschool tomorrow and the idea that anyone, someone, might be mean to him or ignore him and I won't even be there, that makes me sick to my stomach!