Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Patience

In addition to swimming this summer, I added a gymnastics class for Gracie. Um. Also for me- it is reeeally hard to fill the days with a toddler. DANG. She loves to climb and run around and be crazy, so I thought it was time. Of course, if you want to take gymnastics through the Chicago Park District (or any class, for that matter), you have to be glued to your computer the SECOND registration opens, with all your info already entered, index finger twitching on your mouse, ready to click submit. If not, you are outta luck. Of course, being the totally well-organized, detail-oriented person I am, I...didn't even remember to check when registration started. FAIL. So, we're paying non-resident fees to take the class in the burbs.

The class is tiny, about six kids? G is definitely the youngest. The age range to sign up for the class is 18 months-3 years, and since G hit 18 months a week before class started, that was kind of inevitable. I did hope there would be more wee ones in the clas, but the closest to her age is going to be 2 by the end of summer. I thought of it more in terms of gross-motor skills, and I thought, eh, who cares, we're just here to have fun!

I forgot about the maturity factor.

To be fair, there is only one girl who is a LOT older than the rest of the class. Most of the kids are at least near Gracie's age, so when we started with the different activities, there was a lot of ignoring and clinging to mom and stuff like that. Then it was time to sit in mom/nanny's lap while they set up the obstacle course for the kids.

Ohhhh, my. THAT was not part of Gracie's plan. She writhed and cried and then yowled and arched and it. was. not. cool.

All the other children were sitting quietly in their mom's laps, in case you're wondering.

My first thought is that I'm shocked all those kids sat so nicely with their moms while balance beams and mats and big rolling donuts were being strategically arranged around the room. My second thought was that it's her age. It's hard to imagine she'll be happier to sit and wait in just four short months, but maybe?

It's also just that patience isn't one of her assets and never has been. She has SO many wonderful characteristics. She's persistent and silly and so, so clever. She's funny and sweet. But patient? No. Grace isn't patient. I'm torn between thinking SHE'S the normal one, and all the other kids were behaving very strangely, and thinking, okay, how are we going to work on this?

I'm torn between thinking I'm asking too much of her and maybe she's not ready for gymnastics, and thinking she's got to learn how to do things like wait her turn on the jumping blocks, and it's better for her to start learning now, rather than when she's three years old. I'm torn between thinking it's a good way to kill the time and thinking it's a GREAT way to kill my back.

Mostly, I KNOW I'm overthinking it. We'll keep going. Maybe someone else will be crying next week. Also, she loves rolling like a hot dog down the angled mat.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Penny will only jump on the trampoline and only when the teenage worker is watching her. Otherwise she walks around looking at all the other kids :/

We have weird kids.