Thursday, June 10, 2010

Why, Hello There, Blog

It's not that we haven't had anything going on over the last month, exactly. Just that none of it is really fit to blog about, for one reason or another.

Gracie hit 18 months this week, though, I and I have a feeling I'll regret it if I don't record some of this on the internets. Unlike me, the internets remember things.

Today's doctor visit went exactly as I expected. She's a big girl- 34 inches tall and 27 pounds. She's curious and clever and hates shots, like all normal people. No, she is not remotely interested in potty training, Dr. Calmness, but thank you for asking. Check back with us when she's forty. Dr. Calmness (not his real name)(duh) asked if I have any concerns, and...I do. Gracie should have a minmum of 15-20 words right now, and she has somewhere between 8 and 10. This is not entirely surprising, as she also babbled late. She understands every word we say to her and follows complex commands without batting an eyelash, so I know it's not her hearing and it's not a cognitive issue, it's strictly expressive language. I've talked to speech-therapist friends, I've talked to other moms whose kids have gone through speech therapy, and tried doing the things they suggest, and it really hasn't made a difference. She's content to point and grunt. Dr. Calmness, calm person he is, asked that we give her three more months. He'd like her to have 25 words by 21 months old. If she doesn't, we'll call him back and he'll refer us for early intervention.

Although I am, to my very core, a neurotic mess, in this case, waiting seems like the right thing to do. I kind of feel like she'll talk when she talks. Gracie has strong opinions on everything and she likes to do things on her terms. Why should talking be any different?

On the list of things Gracie DOES like to do- dress up and get dirty. She loves to pull the winter stuff out and put it on. She is DYING to dress herself, and since she can't quite do it yet, she's settling for putting on a hat and a scarf. it's pretty freaking adorable.


As for getting dirty, this is the Summer of Filth. There is nothing more awesome than getting entirely soaked at the water table, then going and rolling around in the dirt, digging in the mud, pulling up weeds, trying to launch face-fist into the garden...you name it. Dirt is awesome. But only if you're good and wet first. Crocs and bathing suits are our best friends this summer.


Well, almost. Curious George will always trump all.

2 comments:

BnE's Mommy said...

That Gracie!

Laura said...

I think Gracie is really starting to look like you. And I second the dressing up/messing up phase. If I could find a few accessories made of dirt, pretty sure that'd be a toddler hit.