Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bless You

So, I'm not a religious person. But? There is just something about a stranger saying, "oh, god bless you!" or "bless her heart!" or one of those variations, when you're out with your kid(s). I don't get it much lately- I got it a LOT when Grace was a newborn, and especially when she was fussing (aka screeeeaming) in public. Now I mostly get it when we're out running together. It just...I don't know. For whatever reason, it makes my day. You get so many comments, especially as a brand-new mom, that can sound patronizing or annoyed or whatever else, but when people say this, it's like shorthand for, "Look at your baby! Aw. And you're doing just fine. I promise!"

I wish I could pull it off myself, but I would sound so awkward saying it, I've never even tried. I wonder if there's another phrase that works as well?

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm a fan of "Godspeed".

I agree with you though, it does make you feel special when someone says "bless her heart".

Any extra blessings for my kids I can get is A-OK with me.

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

Godspeed! perfect:)