Friday, October 22, 2010

Hubris

I made it all the way to seven weeks with Segundo without feeling sick. We went for the ultrasound, I saw the tiny flickering heartbeat, and I thought, ok...I AM actually pregnant. But I'm not sick! SCORE! And God smote me with seven weeks of nausea, dry mouth, and an indescribably funky taste in the back of my mouth.

OK. Fine. It was foolish of me to expect otherwise. I can take it.

So as the pregnancy has progressed, I've noticed the absence of some other really unpleasant symptoms, too, as I've mentioned. And honestly, of all the symptoms I had with Grace, the absolute worst was the insomnia. I would lie awake for hours every night, for absolutely no reason except that I just could not fall asleep. This time around, I thought, thank GOD I dodged that bullet, I don't know how I would do it without the ability to sleep until 8, nap, whatever.

So. You DO know I was awake last night from 3:15-4:30, right? Staring at the ceiling? Tossing and turning, counting sheep, getting up to the bathroom, you name it.

Fantastic.

I'll be expecting that "no body hair growth" to start up ANY DAY NOW, universe.

(oh, and also: Segundo was going bananas the whole time, kicking and flipping and tossing and turning. Really, kid? REALLY? You've got twenty weeks to cut that shit out. No following in your sister's footsteps on that one. Unacceptable.)

No comments: