Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Early Spring: the lone drawback

The incredibly mild winter was all-out awesome, and spring coming early is like the cherry on the icing on the cake.  The only problem is that I am totally unprepared to clothe my children for warm weather.

Katie has the benefit of enough hand-me-downs to clothe twelve children.  As a result, she is ready for anything and generally dressed adorably, no matter what the weather.

I hope this doesn't take too long.  I'm due at a picnic with Audrey  Hepburn.
Gracie, on the other hand, does not have the benefit of hand-me-downs.  She has slightly-too-small clothes from the fall and too-large clothes that I ordered, thinking she would be bigger than she really is now.  She is also fond of odd combinations, and when I'm in a hurry to get her dressed, anything goes.

I hope this doesn't take too long.  I'm due at Swap-o-Rama with Bogdan and Basia
I didn't realize just how ill-fitting and ridiculous the outfit was until we were already late to leave for the pediatrician, so I did what any rational person would do, and lied to the front desk staff, telling them Gracie dressed herself.  (They didn't ask.  I volunteered the information.)  One of the girls cocked her head to one side and said, "Awww!  Obviously!"

Compounding the problem is my utter lack of organization.  I took some time from a workday, while the girls were with Grammy, and came home to do closet-cleaning.  I got through all the storage totes, the closet, and Katie's dresser, and was left with eight bags of clothes to donate- and that does not include the stuff that was too grotty to even donate.  The sad thing is, four hours later, I ran out of time to clean out Gracie's dresser, so I still have no room for actual spring clothing that fits the child, so I can't even go shopping for her.

This is what hoarding hath wrought.


Fortunately, her shorts from last summer still fit. Not so fortunately, her t shirts do not. If I don't get on the ball soon, she's either gonna be walking around with her belly hanging out, or in those same two purple t-shirts that are roughly a size and a half too big, and I'm gonna have to keep lying about who picked out her clothes. Which works just fine for me, actually, but let's be real here: it's Gracie. I tell that lie again, and she corrects me. Promptly. And it is the fear of that shame that motivates me.

....someday. For now: couch.

No comments: