Thursday, March 22, 2012

Various

I keep having all kinds of things I want to blog about, funny things the girls do, mostly, and assorted random thoughts, but as luck would have it, we are getting our house ready to put on the market and simultaneously, Katie has decided once and for all that naps are for pansies, and since I am the Queen of the Pansies, I am TOO TIRED to blog by the time I get them to bed.  This means I have missed blogging about all sorts of funny/cute/sweet things they've done lately, but such is life.  If they wanted a better record, they would SLEEP MORE.  (OK, just Katie.  Gracie has, against all odds, become a champion sleeper.  So, I mean, there's hope for the future but I live in the present and I am exhausted.  And rambling.)

So in no particular order:

ONCE again, while nursing a child, I found myself a running superstar.  I trained for a half marathon with relative ease (though the race itself was, of course, not quite what I'd hoped for).  I ran a ten miler in record time.  I was regularly running sub-9 minute miles (which, yes, this makes me pathetic, but that is FAST for me).  I was a MACHINE.  Having visions of 25 minute 5ks.  The weather even cooperated, with the warmest winter of my entire life, so theoretically, no post-treadmill adjustment period.  And then I weaned Katie and promptly found myself barely able to run a mile.  W...T....EFFFF???  and then I remembered: the *exact* same thing happened both while I was nursing and after I weaned Gracie.  And I hate to keep going back to the same well on this, but it makes MAJOR evolutionary sense for a woman to become an exceptional runner while they're feeding another human.  I am not entirely sure why we have to become pathetic sloths after we wean those humans, but such is life.  The more attractive side effect of weaning is that the stubborn eight pounds that I could. not. drop while nursing are in the process of falling off, in spite of me eating a whole lot more and obviously running a whole lot less.  Which, YAY!  ...but oh man, I am TOTALLY going to become one of those women who gets that odd puffy look immediately upon reaching menopause.  There is nothing to be done about this.

THERE are very few things on this earth more awesome than Gracie pretending to nonchalantly whistle by saying "fuh fuh fuuuhhhh..."  Except maybe the belly laugh she whips out when she's (nicely) teasing Katie.

This is just here to show you how adorable she is.


KATIE is climbing stairs at every possible opportunity.  She is pretty much going to kill me dead.  She also nods her head yes in response to questions, tries to put socks and shoes on, and loves to stick monster finger puppets on her index finger and chase us while roaring.

no fear...for HER, anyway.
WE are listing our house soon.  And you know, moving is necessary, for various reasons.  But it's hard to think about leaving the first home our girls knew.  I was watching them play today and wondering if Gracie will even remember this house (obviously Katie will not, unless of course we never actually sell the house...)  It's just weird.

STEPHEN told Gracie awhile back that I have to work to make money to buy toys.  Ever since then, she greets me at the door, asking to see her toys.  Which, for the record, the toy is usually something like a note card or a bandaid or something like that, but I was at Target without her and hit up the dollar section, so she got a few good things, too.  Once, I got her a packet of sushi erasers, which are totally weird and probably don't even erase anything, not that she writes with pencils, anyway.  I figured she'd look at them and toss them aside, but they were funny so I bought them.  You guys.  The girl has not stopped playing with them.  it's been MONTHS.

The fish eggs are Stephen's favorites.


I am eating popcorn.  Cookie bars are next.  Don't be jealous.

1 comment:

Rae said...

:-) As I read this, I am also eating popcorn. Katie looks like a little toddler. How did that happen?