Sunday, November 4, 2012

Weird.

Since we turned the clocks back, Katie woke up at 4:15 and G was up at 5:30.  Don't worry, this is not going to be yet another post about sleeping.  Rather, I am explaining why, in spite of the fact that I am in possession of functioning eyes and ears, I'm still allowing my children to watch Barney.

Because, seriously.

Although, I stand by a previous statement made (not here, but still) that this show is less annoying than the Fresh Beat Band.  I will not be swayed on this topic.

ANYWAY.

I'm really, really, REALLY tired, and irritable, and dreading the thought of making it all the way to bedtime on a day that started at 4:15, so my kids are watching Barney.  And I think it's a perfectly valid choice.  We were actually watching something else, when the PBS Kids preview window popped up with a picture of Barney and Katie LOST HER MIND.  Which is really weird because we never, ever watch this show.  G watched it all the time, but we've kept K away from it.  THEY JUST KNOW.  He hypnotizes them.  Anyway, G was on board with Barney and it meant I got to sit on the couch and stare into space and drool a little bit, so, you know, win-win.  The weird part was that it just happened to be a rerun of the episode that we kept on the Tivo for something like fifty years when Gracie was Katie's age, because she loved the songs in this one so much.  And it didn't just bring back memories, it brought really, really strong feelings.  It's, like, the television version of Proust's madeleine.  Gracie fell in love with Barney right around the time that I decided maybe- mayyyybe- I did not suck at the whole motherhood thing.  Which is kind of funny, since letting your little kid watch not just tv, but BARNEY, often enough that they have a favorite episode, is kind of an epic fail.  The irony isn't lost on me.  Whatever.  My POINT is that I was already feeling exhausted and impatient and not super awesome at this gig, and seeing Barney and Riff sing about ducks was a good reminder that there was a time when I was even WORSE at this!

Wait, that's not really my point either.  Look.  I don't think I HAVE a point.  I'm really tired, okay?  I saw an old episode of Barney and it brought back lots of old, intense memories.  Try not to be jealous that I wrote this and not you.

No comments: