Thursday, January 3, 2013

No Resolution New Year

I am normally a huge fan of new years resolutions.  I know there are a lot of people who like to sniff and get fussy in their seats and say that THEY do not need it to be new years to improve upon themselves, THEY like to identify things they should improve as they arise and just fix them as they discover them.  These people tend to be rather sanctimonious and not at all fun so I try not to worry about them.  I like the idea of a new year and a clean slate and twelve months ahead of me to work on a goal, which is usually something like training for a distance run or cooking more or something that I want to fix, but is also kinda fun, because I do see how silly it is to say I'm going to fix something and then a week later, just be sitting on the couch eating Cheetos.

This year, one of my friends asked on Facebook what people's resolutions were.  And it occurred to me that I genuinely had not given it a moment's thought.  And it also occurred to me that I genuinely think, eff that.  I did the best I could for this last year.  I am not interested in fixing anything or being a better person or really any form of self-improvement.  In fact?  I think the universe should resolve to not be an asshole to my oldest child this year, or, in fact, any of my children.

This is dramatic.  There are kids who are really, really much sicker, suffering much more, and families facing much more difficult situations.  But you know, if those people were ever to find this, I would tell them: you should resolve the same thing.  You should just enjoy yourself.  Eat too much ice cream, sit on the couch too much, buy yourself too many new books, stop clipping coupons, whatever the hell you want.

Maybe next year I'll work on being a better person.  This year, my only resolution is to have a good time, enjoy my family, and spend less time bringing G to see various doctors. 

Sigh.  I guess that is a resolution.  Whatever.  You get my point.

Oh yes.  I also resolve to eat more cake straight off the cake round.

1 comment:

Heather said...

LOVE that cake picture.