Friday, May 16, 2008

M. Night Shyamalan

I am trying to decide whether or not to see his new movie.

I really loved the Sixth Sense. I completely fell for the twist, and I thought it was a totally unique and oddly sweet story. I really loved Signs. I think it's genuinely scary and even though I know a lot of people hated the ending (and I agree, one should NEVER show the monster), but I liked it. It reminded me of a Prayer for Owen Meany, how all these seemingly odd things came together to serve a purpose. Unbreakable was okay, it seemed like it should've been better than it was in the end, though.

I totally hated the Village and I didn't even bother with The Lady in the Water, because it wasn't that hard to guess it was going to be a crappy movie.

It seems like the fundamental problem is that he has a really hard time telling the difference between Night the Storyteller and Night the Self-Absorbed Douchebag. Like, he doesn't filter his own ideas very well. So every movie is a crapshoot, because they all get made in the end.

I don't expect the Happening to be any kind of ground-breaking cinema, and I don't expecxt it to make any profound statements. I generally don't require that of my movies. But based on what this movie looks like it's supposed to be? I want it to scare the crap out of me. I want it to be one of those really tense movies that totally sucks you in and makes you jump and laugh at stupid jokes because you just need to relieve the tension.

I think I'll go see it. But if it sucks, I'm going to be SO annoyed.

4 comments:

Rae said...

I'd wait for the dvd version...or least wait till after opening weekend so you can get some real people reviews before you spend too much on a movie.

diedendidit said...

Oh, come on, we have to go. You, me, M. Night...just like old times. I'll try to have a soul. Except for Sixth Sense, I'm pretty sure we've seen all his others together. I agree w/Rae to wait until its had a chance to make its debut.

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

Oooh ooh ooh...if we wait until after it gets some real reviews, then we should all go and then get Gene and Jude's afterwards! Remember, we did that after Unbreakable, and I kept saying, "I like your house, can I come inside?" hoping to make it less scary? That would be so fun!

diedendidit said...

I'm all for that. I haven't G&J's in a while. Good times..