Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Today's Lesson

Today at work, a group of us were talking, and I learned something I never knew before.

If you ever go to prison? You can have a portrait taken to commemorate the experience. I mean, complete with a backdrop and the pose of your choice. And you can order copies of the picture to send to your loved ones.

I thought, at first, that Shnee was messing with us. I mean, normally when she says something that surprises me, I think, "Um, okay, never realized that," but this? I'm sorry this is WEIRD, and I thought for sure she had to be lying.

So she called another person to the desk, struck a silly pose, and said, "What's this that I'm doing?" And the person said, without missing a beat, "That's the penitentiary pose!" Then she and Shnee showed us all the most popular poses. It was funny, I guess you'll have to take my word for it though, because I'm really not telling this story well at all.

I asked her, why on earth would you want to commemorate THAT? And she said, "Kathy. Some of those people are never getting out! They need pictures to send their family!"

Right. I don't think of these things.

3 comments:

Donna said...

That is the saddest thing I've heard in a while. And not sad like pathetic but sad like I want to cry.

diedendidit said...

Feeling a little darker than Donna, I guess, because it made me want you to strike the pose in your maid of honor dress next week.

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

It really wasn't sad for them at all, and I found out today that the woman who said, "That's the penitentiary pose!" actually has a boyfriend in prison. For sixty years. Though I already forget why. I don't know, nurses are big on gallows humor and finding things funny when most people don't, maybe that is why, but we were all laughing so hard we were crying.

And oh my GOD, if I don't strike that pose in my bridesmaid dress, I'm *pretty* sure Shnee will disown me as a friend.