Thursday, August 4, 2011

PANTS.

So, we've been battling some seriously bad sleep in our house.  To anyone who's shocked: welcome to my blog!  I'm glad you've stopped by.  My interests include running and making babies that never sleep.  To the rest of you: sorry.  I know.  it's so tiresome.  but this one is interesting!  Because it's all about how stupid I can be!

Because, see, I do This Thing, where a piece of information enters my brain, and something flickers and tells me it's significant, but I choose to dismiss it.  I really think there should be a name for that phenomenon, because although my skillz are exceptional, I know everyone does this.  This happens to me allll the time at work, I figure stuff out and don't say anything, and then it turns out the thought I had was right and nobody believes me because I didn't say anything. Another, less flattering example: when Grace was about seven or eight months old, she woke up in the middle of the night, at a time when she'd mostly stopped waking.  I got her out of bed and it was like nursing a little chunk of asphalt.  Damn, I thought, I really need to turn on the air conditioning, it's hot in here!  The next day, I kept thinking, jeeeeez kid, what the heck?  Stop WHINING!  And then?  After I'd dragged her all over kingdom come, running errands, I took one look at her sitting in the shopping cart, with red-rimmed, glassy eyes, saw her let out a big heavy sigh, and thought, "oh my SHIT, she is SICK.  Mommy fail.  NURSE FAIL!!!! AUGH!"  And yes, she had, like, a 432 degree fever.  So my point is, I'm sometimes a little slow on the uptake.

...whiiich is important to the story.  Because for the last week or so, Katie developed the extremely (un)charming habit of waking upwards of six times a night, waking only a few times a night but staying awake for an hour or more (a true Gracie special), and generally sleeping horribly all-around.  Which did not exactly have a positive impact on her personality.  About a week ago, I scooped her and was nursing her when I thought, dang, her little legs are COLD.  Here, let me just warm them up on my warm belly.  And put her back to bed.  Lather, rinse, repeat, ad finitum. 

And then?  A few evenings ago, it occurred to me: PANTS.  Who the hell can sleep when they're cold?  Yeah.  So I put pants on the poor kid before she went to bed.  She woke up twice that night.  Since she slept well, her naps were also better (although that is another story for another day, right there).  Was it a fluke?  Nope.  Next two nights, same thing.

The secret is pants. 

(OK.  the secret is not freezing your baby.  But for a massively SIDS-paranoid person like me, I prefer to think of the secret as pants rather than warmth.)

1 comment:

Laura said...

lol, yay for wins!