Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fringe Benefits

So, there are the obvious benefits from marathon training- it gets me back in shape (kind of. sigh.), it's healthy, sense of accomplishment, cross something off the life list, etc, etc. There are a few other benefits, too.

Benefit the First:
It actually forces me to run. This isn't really a surprising benefit, it's more surprising that it works. When I was training for half marathons before, I always had days when I didn't want to run, and so I just...didn't. This time, it's actually working as motivation. Score!

Benefit the Second:
Squashing of baby fever. I cannot have another baby right now because then I can't run the marathon!! ...yeah. ACTUALLY, I cannot have another baby right now because I would have to be institutionalized. As a family, we have everything on our plates that we can handle right now. We are not ready in ANY sense of the word to add another baby to the mix. And you know, I KNOW THAT. I totally know that. I don't actually have baby fever. I have pregnant fever. I think it's because three different people I know are expecting wee ones right now, and it's making me think, awwww, that's so exciting! I remember that! That was fun! And, because I no longer have any actual memory, I conveniently forget the restless legs, nausea, fatigue, insomnia (what a totally WRONG combination, btw), the back pain, the all-over pain, the "my skin HUUUUURTS don't LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEE" feelings. And, of course, the pesky little fact that when you're done being pregnant, you have a baby. To KEEP. As it happens, though, none of those things are enough to dissuade me. The marathon, though? TOTALLY dissuades me. Can't get pregnant. Gotta run the marathon.

Whatever works.

2 comments:

Bobbi said...

LOL...

Max's Mommy said...

Dude! I totally agree with you whole pregnancy paragraph.