Saturday, June 25, 2011

1/3 of a Year

That's how old Katie is today. At this exact time four months ago, we were making phone calls and taking pictures and cuddling our new baby.

FOUR MONTHS AGO, PEOPLE.

Mostly, this makes me stop and ask, wtf??? But then other times, I think, only four months? When I just think, Katie is four months old, it doesn't seem possible. But when I think about her as a part of our family, I can't believe there was ever a time when she wasn't here. In a funny coincidence, we found out a year ago today that Katie was coming, and that definitely does not seem right, because THAT feels like six or seven years ago.

It was a big month for her, I think. She started playing with toys and putting them in her mouth a few weeks ago, which is AWESOME, because it significantly cuts down on the amount of time she spends screaming in the car. Just in the last few days, she's really started grabbing her feet, but they haven't made it into her mouth just yet. She rolled over once from her tummy to her back, but hasnt' repeated that. She gets waaay up on her side and will swivel around on her hips when she's lying on her back, so that she can scoot around and get into totally different positions, but hasn't made it onto her belly yet. She's started talking with her voice, instead of gurgling/cooing in the back of her throat, if that makes sense? Lots of "aaaahhhh!!! ah ah ah aaaah!" which I actually don't think I totally remember with Grace, but you know, I was totally wrecked by fatigue, so maybe I just forgot.

She's really not a big eater. We'll most likely introduce solids in the next month. I think? I am fully aware of the recommendation to wait until six months, but we introduced them for Gracie at about four and a half months and it went really well. On the other hand, Gracie was a much more vigorous eater than Katie all around, so who knows if it'll really take. Gracie was really ready at four and a half months,and if we had to decide today, I'd say Katie's not, but I guess we'll see.

Sleep is straight-up awful. Possibly worse than Grace. YEAH, I SAID IT. Our evenings are much better, she's gotten used to being put down in the crib and sleeping there in the evening. After that, all bets are off- she typically wakes at least a few times a night and is up for the day by 5 or 5:30 at the latest, with rare, beautiful exceptions. Most days, she gets really fussy and antsy at 4:30 and it's all downhill from there. I generally try everything to get her back to sleep, especially when she pulls that business at 4am, but it doesn't often work. Today she was up at 5, wouldn't take a morning nap til 9:30 (it lasted twenty minutes), took a 50 minute afternoon nap in the pack n play, and then napped maybe another hour with me on the couch. It's unpleasant. I'll just leave it at that.

I'm still trying to figure out her little personality. It's so hard to do that without comparing her to Gracie. I don't want to do that, and I also don't want to assign too much to her when she's this little, but I can't help but notice that she's snugglier and quieter, calmer but more easily overwhelmed. Afternoons are not exactly a good time for her, she gets sooo crabby and high-maintenance, and I'm not gonna lie, it's exhausting and often frustrating, but it really feels like...babyness. Not temperament. If that makes any sense.

There's so much I want to remember, and so much I'll be perfectly content to forget. Mostly, I feel like, on some level, she was always part of our family.

Oh, and also: I really, really, really might eat her.

1 comment:

Donna said...

She is clearly very proud of herself for being four months! So cute!