Friday, June 10, 2011

Two and a Half



It's funny how time doesn't exactly whiz by at this stage like it does when they're tiny, and at the same time, I've been cheating and saying Grace is two and a half for probably a month now, and just realized last night as I was falling asleep that I'd missed her half birthday.

Of course she's two and a half. She has these ginormous hands and all these teeth and her hair finally seems to be growing.




There are so many things I know I'll never forget- how she prefers to be outside, especially when it involves digging and mud and messes of every kind, her deep and abiding love of junk food, and how she somehow innately knew how to be a big sister. The first few times someone asked us, with a nudge and a wink, how Grace responded to Katie, I was sort of shocked to say, "...you know? Really, really well." She hugs and kisses and plays with her, and gets VERY upset if anyone else takes her away. Once when I was loading them in the car, I broke my routine and got Katie in first- Grace grabbed the Babyhawk and asked, "Where Tatie go?!??" If I only got to choose one thing for her future (I mean, beyond her health and 200 year long lifespan, obviously), it would be that it stays that way between them. I know it will EVENTUALLY get old, but I'm strangely looking forward to the first time they plot against me. I mean, probably it won't be funny at the TIME, but come on! Sisters conspiring together! It's all fun and games til mom gets mad enough to burst a blood vessel in her eye.




Then there are a lot of other things that I'm afraid I'll forget, that I have to write down. Mostly Grace-isms, like keppich (ketchup) and lello keppich (mustard) and scawbees (strawberries) and shammich (sandwich) and nokies (milk) and baby nokies (breastmilk. my personal favorite.) and toysbox and the way she specifically asks for cold ice (as opposed to warm, I guess?) The way she'll tell us everything something is NOT lately- her shoes are pink. NOT purple. NOT brown. The way she'll exclaim, "mama! Three flags!" when we drive past a cluster of three flags, making me realize she can, in fact, count objects. The funny way she cups her hand when she gestures, instead of pointing, and the way she'll use both arms for something far away, with one arm bent and one arm straight, like she's a prize girl on The Price is Right. Her totally inexplicable obsession with Spider Man. Gah, SO many things that I'm sure I'm even forgetting now.




My dad told me a few weeks ago that she'd finally earned her homo sapien certificate, which I think was due more to the fact that she finally stopped shrieking every time he walks into the room, but he's got a point. She's really a PERSON now, instead of a baby or a toddler. I mean, she always had opinions (um. from the moment of her very first breath), but her inner life is so much clearer now than it used to be.




Next up: potty training. *sigh* I guess. Along with the total suckitude of the fall-back time change, it's one of those things you THINK is awesome before you have kids, but then you learn the real truth when you realize that you will never, ever leave the house on time again, unless you want pee all over your car.

3 comments:

Rae said...

She' so great. I can't wait to see the person she grows to be. As a mother (as opposed to Rachel 3 mos ago) I find it fascinating that she can say "Look 3 flags!". How can she possibly put that all together? Last week she was a newborn I was holding her on your couch as she screamed at me and I told her she was pretty.

Max's Mommy said...

Grace is stunning. I love the 2nd to last picture.

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

Rachel, I remember that too, but it definitely seems like a million years ago. Based on that memory, she should be at least five or six.