Sunday, June 5, 2011

It's okay, I'll be back.

The best time to run errands is right after Katie's nap. Her limit for naps that don't occur on my body seems to be an hour, which is rarely enough. Typically, we head out and she sleeps in the carrier while we shop. Sometimes, that's plenty, and she's happy to look around and be nosy.

Today, though, she had other plans. *sigh*

I had a big long list for Target (duh) and piled the girls in the car. I could tell Katie was antsy while we were waiting at Starbucks- the line was long, and her highness does NOT like when I stand still. I hoped she'd fall asleep quickly, but instead, she just ramped it up and started screeeeaming. SCREAMING. And screamed all the way through Target. I got lots of sympathetic smiles, which was disappointing because my nerves were quite jangled and I was really hoping someone would give me a look so I'd have an excuse to go off on them. Alas, it was not to be.

I gave up on the trip about halfway through and headed to the checkout. The cashier was entirely untroubled by her screams, and took her sweeeet time ringing me up. At this point, Katie was in a full-body sweat, and the most vivid shade of fluorescent pink you can imagine. Finally, the cashier was done, and we bolted for the doors, where she proceeded to put her head down on my chest and fall asleep. Soundly. I was tempted to load what I had in the car and go back and finish my shopping trip, but I'd bought a few frozen things, so that wasn't an option. Instead, I gingerly slid her into the car seat and we came home. She's had two similar screaming episodes since then, so I'm getting a little suspicious that she's dealing with a viral invader, but I sure hope I'm wrong.

Grace, for the record, was a perfect angel through all of this. Gotta give credit where it's due.

4 comments:

Megan M said...

Grace was secretly laughing inside...in that "And you thought she was going to be different from me" kind of way...

Rae said...

Jerry always leaves his melt down for the checkout line. So, Grace is 2...is that when this stops?

Donna said...

well...Go Gracie!! :o)

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

heh, Rae, Gracie stopped melting down at the check out around the time I put her facing out in the carrier. Then she had something to watch and it didn't bug her as much. once when she was teeny, the woman behind me commented on her, and I really nervously told her that Gracie tended to melt down at the check out, and the woman just laughed and said, "why should she be any different from anyone else in the store??" which: yes. true. and it made me laugh.