Saturday, December 31, 2011

Amateur Night

I have not really liked New Year's Eve for awhile now.  In fact, I got so sick of scrambling to find a party that I stopped celebrating before I even met Stephen.  It was the year I turned thirty, and I was working really  hard to be happy just being SINGLE and just ENJOY MY LIFE.  As part of that?  I was not going to spend $100 to go to a bar and drink watery beer and stand around wishing I had a place to sit or put my jacket.  So I stayed in that night, made pizza, ate half a gallon of ice cream, watched a marathon about illegal drugs on the History channel, and went to bed early.

It.  Was.  AWESOME.  You do not even know.  (unless you've also done it, in which case, wasn't it AWESOME????)

So, even though I have plenty of things on my list of Stuff I Miss Since I Had Kids, New Year's Eve is soooo not one of them.

Instead, I go out to dinner with another cop's wife and all our kids (and this year, the husbands were able to join us!), come home, put on my pajamas, and sit on the couch with the tv and the internet and an early bedtime.  I could joke about my glamorous lifestyle, but I also secretly know that it's a damn good way to spend an evening.

So long, 2011.  You were a real asshole to a lot of people, but you were pretty good to me.

1 comment:

Torrey said...

I love that picture of your girls. It made me actually break into a huge smile.

And I also loved that our plans got foiled last night and we had to stay in. :)