Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Big C

So, the other night, after walking in circles around the dining room table for about half an hour, vigorously patting my little treasure on the butt, I stopped and said to Stephen, "Um, yeah. I know I keep saying she's not colicky? But she really is."

Stephen half-laughed, half threw his hands in the air, and said, "I KNOW!! I keep saying that!"

I feel bad. She's not severely colicky. She's not one of those babies who screams 24/7 and cannot be soothed by anything except a constantly running vacuum cleaner. She barely fits the three-hour requirement, and I suppose technically, since colic has to last three months, we can't officially say this until we're saying it in retrospect, but seriously. The girl is colicky. Mildly colicky.

It's really funny how I'm all shocked by this. Like somehow I would be exempt from having a colicky baby? Like people who have colicky babies really see it coming? (Anyone who does see it coming and has kids anyway has to be a crackhead.) Don't ask me.

In a way, though, saying she's colicky is a comfort. It means she's not necessarily going to grow into a tantrum-y little toddler and a hellraiser of a teenager. She could still be those things, but it's not like we've got an undeniable sign of that in our future.

In the meantime, we're going to buy stock in Duracell, because it turns out our colicky little girl looooves her swing.

4 comments:

Rae said...

As we have established...I am not a baby person...so hear comes what is probably a silly question. Why does it matter if she is colicky or if she is just a little girl who cries a lot? Does the diagnosis help you to figure out what to do? Or does it set expectations of what will be the likely course of this behavior?

Maybe she's just working on her diaphragm and lungs for her singing career. :-)

Donna said...

You know, everyone I know who had a colicky baby ended up with a totally sweet kid after that period was over. One the other hand, I don't think Brendan was colicky, I'm more afraid he could be the temper tantrum throwing type, because he just has a very short fuse when he does not get what he wants. I am praying that it's something parenting can fix, rather than the genes of a badass. Let's compare notes in 5 years. :o) Liam also loved that papasan swing, which of course broke a few weeks into Brendan so we never got to see if that could work with him, but seriously that swing is the BEST! Oh and this is probably a dumb question but have you tried Little Tummies or Mylicon?

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

R- it matters because it kind of gives you a pattern to expect. it's good and bad- it's bad because it tends to last longer than just normal newborn adjustment to the world, but good because it's not just who she is, and it will pass. someday. that doesn't really help right now, but it will one day.

D- we haven't tried mylicon because there's not a single study that shows it truly works. however, we were just talking about it and it's not going to hurt her, so we might as well try it.

Donna said...

My neighbor recommended Mylicon to me for Liam when he would have his dinnertime fussy periods as an infant. I really thought it helped. I also found it to help Brendan. Then there was some recall of Mylicon a while back, so we tried Little Tummies, and that seemed to work too. My 2 cents. :o)