Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Young and Healthy

People don't always understand details. Or subtleties. Or something.

Today I was at the produce market with G-Funk and the woman in the next check out line was loudly railing against the "panic" surrounding swine flu. Thinking she was extremely smart, she started quoting statistics about how many people die each year from the flu.

Look. I'm not telling anyone to panic about swine flu. It has me...nervous. But panicking? Decidedly not. However. The Knowitall in me (IN me? isn't that all of me?!) had a VERY hard time restraining myself. The woman didn't want my opinion. But for GODS' SAKE, if you're gonna go off, know what you're talking about.

Very young, very old, and medically frail people die of the flu every year, with some random freaky deaths. Healthy young adults do NOT die in large numbers. It is most definitely cause for concern.

(since I didn't tell HER that, I had to come here and tell all of you. This makes two stupid blog posts in a row. sigh.)

(for those keeping score at home, my little KGB agent woke at 4:50, stayed awake two hours, and took a 45 minute nap. She was then awake for FOUR hours, but is in the midst of a beautiful nap. if only I could make her morning nap this long. Or, you know, add it to her NIGHTTIME SLEEP!!!)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

There were some people at my playgroup today talking about how the swine flu uproar is fear mongering because the flu only kills the elderly, already sick, and very young.

I had a hard time keeping my mouth shut, and I'm not even in the medical profession. Some people are just stupid.

Sorry you had a rough night!

Donna said...

This is so true. On one hand the media is to blame (as usual) for doing their usual 12 second sound bite and not giving enough backround for people to understand why the spread of this is so potentially dangerous. But also we live in such a fast-paced, know-it-all cynical world that if we can't understand something immediately we just jump to conclusions and make decisions based on what we think we know. So 40 people died! Big whoop! My college roommate studied this exact virus in 2000 and did her undergraduate thesis on it. I went to listen to her defense of it. It's no joke. I hope scientists have made a lot of progress in the last decade. Thanks for your blog about it! It was not stupid at all! :o)