Friday, May 11, 2012

Adventures in Couscous

Here we go again.

So tonight's introduction was couscous.  I refuse to eat the really fine-grain couscous, because I stopped eating sand when I was three.  I have been searching high and low for giant couscous and shockingly, finally found it in the organic aisle at Jewel.  This shocked me because Jewel sucks nuts, but that is another story for another day, and really not very interesting (in short: OVERPRICED ZOMG).  It sat in the cabinet for a few days, but when I realized I had no idea what I wanted to make for dinner, it seemed like today was the day.

I didn't take pictures while I was cooking because I didn't think I was making anything that impressive.  In short: thin-sliced four carrots, and sauteed in olive oil for awhile.  A long while, because my girls don't like crunchy carrots.  They even started to turn brown on the edges: YUM.  Then I added a drained can of chick peas, half a teaspoon of smoked paprika, a few sprinkles of cumin, and a dash of salt.  Cooked awhile longer.  Added the box of couscous and once minced clove of garlic, toasted that for maybe two minutes?  Added the water.  Realized I was maybe short on flavor, added a veggie bouillon cube.  Covered and simmered til all the water was absorbed.

It looked like this:

I thought it was really, really yummy, but I was not at all sure the girls would even willingly try it (well, no.  I knew Katie would try it.  I figured for sure Gracie wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.)

But then...







They both willingly tried it!  And?

She liked it enough for a symmetric smile!



Not pictured: the way she kept furiously signing "more".

It was a win! ...except? GUHHH. Pasta and chick peas!! AGAIN.  

And? Also?  Balls of sticky pasta?  Feeding them to a toddler and a preschooler?  Right.  Genius.  I'm gonna be finding little couscouses all over the kitchen til they're in high school. 

So.  I'll probably try it again.  Except I'll use bulghur instead of couscous, and I'll at least KNOW that I am not doing anything new.  I keep going back to this, I think, because it is a vegetarian twist on a Slovak/Hungarian dish called rice chicken that I used LOVE when I was an omnivore.  I will post about THAT one day, next time I make it, because it is really yummy and mild enough that kids will like it too and even though it's very time-consuming, it is dead easy, very hard to screw up.  Anyway.

Maybe one day I will *actually* try something new.l  For now, though, they're eating something other than spaghetti or soup.

No comments: