Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Catch-22

We have a newborn with spina bifida on our service right now. She is her mom's first baby. Yesterday, she FINALLY got to breastfeed the baby. When we told her, she was excited, but said she had absolutely no idea what she was doing. "I'll help you!!!" I said. I was so excited to help her! The problem? It was 6:30. I leave at seven. And therein lies the catch-22:

1- Before Gracie was born, I would've happily stayed late to help her, however, I wouldn't have had the first clue what to tell her.
2- Now that G is here, I know exactly what to tell her, but I have zero interest in staying late at work, especially when I'm rushing home to be the one to put her to bed.

I managed to give her some pointers on positioning and I think they were going to be fine, but unfortunately, the baby had eaten an hour earlier and was not remotely interested in eating, so we dind't get any good latching action while I was there. Then I was off today. And I have a meeting tomorrow. I might ditch it, I really want this to go well for them. Looking back at how I felt when G was a week old, well, I can't imagine what I would've been like if she'd had surgery and was still in the hospital with another possible surgery on the horizon, plus all the bajillion other things that crop up in newborns with spina bifida. Yiiiikes. that's all I have to say about that.

1 comment:

Donna said...

That is too terrifying for me to read about. But I'm sure your pointers were very helpful! It's nice to be right in the thick of things so you really know what you're talking about. I'm a month or two removed and I don't think I'd be as much help. But I definitely vote to ditch the meeting. :o)