Saturday, May 30, 2009

Cops and Nurses

The cop-nurse pairing is a big cliche.

There's a good reason for it: we both have jobs that work crappy hours, make crappy money, and deal with crap that most people don't even want to think about. However, in spite of this last fact, most people ALSO believe, really and truly believe, they can do our jobs as well as we do.

I'm not really happy about being held prisoner in my house all day today. It was a gorgeous saturday, one that Gracie and I could have spent running, playing in the yard, getting shopping done, and enjoying the fresh air. Instead, we were holed up inside, waiting for resolution that never came (and still hasnt' come, thirteen hours after it started).

I'm also sad for this man, even though I only met him once, back before Gracie was even born. And more importantly, even though it's frustrating that it's taking so long, I also know I'm not trained in hostage negotiation. I don't know how to talk someone off a figurative ledge. I don't know how to keep the rest of the neighborhood safe when an unstable man with a gun is holed up in his house.

So while I have wicked cabin fever and a SERIOUS need for a diet Dr. Pepper, I'm just going to be grateful that we're all okay, pray that our neighbor will be okay too, and let the experts do their job.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I can't believe this is still going on!! I'm sorry you've been holed up all day, I hope you were able to make something good of it. Like...Grace avoided getting a potential sunburn? I dunno.
I'll pray it ends soon too so you can have tomorrow.
Also, one of these days, I will stop sucking, and actually email you.