Friday, May 27, 2011

Three


I know it's a stupid, obvious thing to say, but how on earth has it been three months?


Katie decided much earlier than Grace that the world might not be such a bad place after all. It was probably in the last month that Her Royal Highness started allowing me to put her on the play mat or in her bouncie seat. She grabs at the toys on her playmat- half the time she misses, and the other half of the time, she's so shocked to succeed that she just kinda sits there staring at it and trying to figure out how to let go.

She LOVES the Wheels on the Bus, and Patty Cake will sometimes induce such a state of rapture, she will furiously stuff both hands into her mouth, drooling and sucking furiously, like she's so happy, she doesn't even know what to do with herself.

And yay, sleep! That is where she is...totally NOT a Viking. sigh. We are learning to go in our crib for bedtime and the pack n play for naps. The pack n play usually lasts for about 45 minutes. The crib is super hit or miss, sometimes we only get 45 minutes, once we got three hours. So far, I haven't been able to put her back in the crib after her first waking. Initially, it was just because I was so tired, but now that I'm back at work, I have to admit it: I miss her. And I like the snuggling. It has to stop soon, because I'm noticing she's not sleeping as well in my bed as she used to, and being back at work, I just think she needs her own, quiet space. Naps, well....her afternoon nap usually happens on my chest. Partly because she needs the sleep and she does well there, and partly because *I* need the sleep, and she does well there.

Sometimes, too, when we're all snuggled up on the couch, with her perfectly curled up in the crook of my arm, and she starts to fuss and root and gets herself a little snack, I think about how amazing it is that we're doing the same thing moms and babies have done since we climbed out of the primordial ooze.

...Then I laugh at myself because I'm pretty sure the oozy people weren't lying on couches inside climate-controlled houses while something tivo'd off the History Channel played for background noise.

A quarter of the way to her first birthday. *sigh* She's going to be starting kindergarten in, like, a week.

5 comments:

Max's Mommy said...

She is stunning. :)

Megan M said...

i love how you say she is getting a little snack...that just cracks me up!

Rae said...

Snuggly babies are the best.

Donna said...

She is so, so precious, Kathy! (And be careful what you say, cause it's true - Liam's starting kindergarten this fall!! Ahhhh!!!)

Laura said...

wow, she looks so much like Grace here!